Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Gods, Clods, and Anchovies

Wow. What a month it's been since I've last posted to this blog. To fully appreciate everything that has occured and its feverish pace, you need to read the following block of jibberish text as quickly as possible: Australia lost to Italy in the world cup under DODGE conditions, soccer refs in Australia have been found beaten to bloody pulps, police have applauded their efforts; I spent 8 days of my Aussie holiday in bed, Emma was thousands of miles away, my wrist is being still (1); I drank so much coffee in St Kilda I still have a headache; made a slideshow mocumentary and proceeded to bitch about how I deleted it; I partied like it was 1999 til I boarded that flight to Sri Lanka; Emma and I stayed in a 4 star hotel and appreciated the luxury, eating so many buffet breakfasts that I literally burst and had to get stitched together by a traditional healer; started a new job and am actually working for once; went on an amazing weekend trip to Kandalama in Dambulla, celebrated Bills birthday and the world cup and then left at 4 in the morning on Monday to get to work on time; moved in to our new apartment and spent my first pay check on cutlery, placemats and pillows; began to worry I am turning in to my mum. PHEW.


Just in case you don't believe me, here's some pics of street scenes and etcetera (2):

Trippy photo from 30,000ft above an Indonesian Island

One of the cool streets of Melbourne.. anyone know where it is?

Yes, Nigel is still alive.. and the other one's my Mum! (3)

Back to what you know: an army dude guarding a billboard on a main street of Colombo.

As you do.. an army helicopter landing in a cricket ground: The view from my 4 star hotel room.


Some ramblings.. ramble ramble:

What is the critical mass in an organisation? How many support staff are needed for those who actually do stuff? I am convinced that there are too many people who's job description is to help other do their job and not do anything themselves, and there are not enough people with jobs who actually do something. At uni it was explained as rent seekers who seek to redistribute the pie (i.e. blood sucking lawyers) versus productive workers (i.e. engineers, but don't get cocky because half the engineers are support for the REAL engineers). Or better explained by social darwinism's reasoning for the near extinction/extermination of American Indians: too many chiefs, not enough indians. Though I prefer Southpark: There are two sorts of people in this world, gods and clods. Gods drive the cars and the clods fill 'em up. You see, your society needs both sort of people..... and on the diatribe goes. But me being, well quite frankly me, I think it's best explained by the ancient Egyptians: There's a logical reason for why they did not build the pyramids upside down, it would have toppled over. If the ancient Egyptians were like the modern day managers and consultants and management consultants, they would have built the Acient Pyramids of Giza upside down trying to explain that you need more people at the top to support the poor clods at the bottom. And it would have toppled down. And the managers and consultants and management consultants would have fallen with them, along the way blaming the shoddy work of the poor clods who obviously weren't managed and monitored enough and thus the next time it should be more top heavy with more consultants. But of course, my job is different...

My other rambling is regarding the whole Israeli Vs Lebanon and the rest of the middle east thing. Now, I could be politically correct and say "Blow them all up and let God decide".. or I could just pick out the funny shit like Alexander Downer (4). News reports were flying thick and thin about all the missiles and rockets and other stuff going on in a place I'd rather not be. The airport was first targetted, and all flights were cancelled; then came the sea embargo preventing any ships in and out; then the bridges to Israel and Syria were taken out to prevent land transport in and out; and then came Alexander Downer's warning, "The Australian Government advises people not to travel to Lebanon". If you know how the heck to get in there, I think you would be a lot more popular with the terrorist organisations. Alex, you get the Anchovie of the Week.

Anyhoot darlings.. Emma's at home sick, and hopefully cooking me dinner, or at least ironing my shirt.. so I better head over there myself.

Peace, Love and Punk Fairy Conflicts,

Byron


(1) For best results, sleep on your hand for an hour until it goes numb so it feels like someone else is next to you.
(2) I hate my camera at the moment. I want a new one.. with a big lens to make up for everything else that I lack - referring to photographic skills, of course.. there are no photos of people because I was too drunk most of the time. Apologies. Also this computer sux and the stoooopid people in IT wont let me add software that makes my photos look much better than they really are.
(3) You easily could make a joke of this.. a picture of my mum and an ugly dog called Nigel. Though I strongly advise you to rethink it, as I have surpassed a thousand hits and thoroughly enjoy public humiliation of other people. And myself.
(4) If you are fortunate enough not to know who this cross dressing parliamentarian is, then you may not want to keep reading. But for those who don't know, it is Australia's Foreign Minister. He's from Adelaide, but I still don't think that fully explains things.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dugi said...

yay a new post! Ive been checkin in every few days. Hope ur new job is going well. pls give my love to Emma.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who Dat Countin' Ya Hitz!?