Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Phlogging Cricket and Camping

Time these days seems to fly by.. or go slowly. Where has the happy medium gone? I suppose I should speak to Tony about that. Anyway. This week has been jam packed full of travelling and fun times had by all. The problem is, the fun times keep on rolling on.. and so I am lacking serious time for blogging. I really need to get rid of my social life so I can focus 100% on this blogsite. Afterall, I have three serious fans now!

For those who love statistics and drinking as much as I do, they would probably know that South Africa is touring Sri Lanka at the moment. And I am not talking about all forty million of 'em, just the twelve that lack the skills of hitting a leather ball with a piece of willow. And one of my many missions in life as a colonial tourist is to see a cricket match played in all ten test playing nations. Welp, I tried before with Chris and Caz to see Pakistan v Sri Lanka, but sadly they can't jump out of moving trains and instead we went to the cricket club to lick some wounds. But no problems this time! We made it.. and so did Sri Lanka. The day before one of the Jayawardena's and Sangakara set records with a 600 odd run partnership. We were there the day after to see South Africa try and stope the wile of the Chucker, but to no avail he has chucked them out of the park and into a humiliating loss. [For those who care, the next test has just finished and Sri Lanka did a clean sweep of the two test series.. the only bigger loser than South Africa is Dean (Dead?) Jones, who called a South African muslim player a terrorist and lost all of his contracts except for those with Rupert Murdoch for some reason...]. Here's Emma enjoying the day.


And I found my twin!

No better way than enjoying cricket in the true colonial manner of a pot of tea.. sadly they forgot about the newage colonialism of beer!


Last weekend was probably one of the best times I have ever had in Sri Lanka, and well in the bigger scheme of things. Ming Yu organised a group of eight of us to head up to Kitugala (2.5 hours east of Colombo) to go white water rafting, canyoning, and hiking in some of the most fantastic river/hilly landscapes in the world. Wow, was so cool I almost shat myself. If anyone else out there in the big wide world of internet land is like me, and I pray for your sake you're not, you also probably don't know what canyoning is. Basically, it's a mix between kayaking without a kayak or paddle, hiking without solid ground, and lugeing without ice. It's a very cool concept of running down a river, jumping down waterfalls into pools, sliding down
natural rock water slides, and floating where it's deep enough. We did this for maybe 2 hours.. after a while you start getting quite confident despite all the scratches and twisted ankles, and just start jumping down and on everything. The hiking was p.cool too. We treaded into some mean national park. I reckon I have been to 10 NP's in SL, and this would have to rate near the top. We saw some tree snakes, swam at waterfalls, Embo made a friend Larry the Leach.. I should elaborate on this. Embo is a freak. Granted. She is scared out of her wits for days about leaches, and then when we get up to the campsite she decides to stare her fear in the eye and befriend it. She's like "I better get a leach" and constantly asking our tour guide "Is this leach terriority!?!" with a glean in her eye.. then she finally gets one, and decides to nurture it see how big it can get.. crazy mofo!


Our Campsite....

Can you see the suspension bridge in the background? No, I'm not talking about the dude with the wood..

Serah having a walk.. love Jacquis's head gear in the background!
Okay, and here are some cool random pics from the weekend.. including a group photo of all of us. P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MINGERS!!! We (obvoiusly not me) set up 29 candles around the camp site to celebrate Minger's b'day. We made her feel special.. and then got her drunk before the hike.

This red dragon fly played up to the camera.. he thought I was a voyeur, I thought he was a gimpy model waiting for his big break.. oh the fun of it all.

Something you can't get away from in this country is the decreasing appreciation of the cease fire agreement (that's political talk for "IT"S A FUCKING CIVIL YOU MORON!!). It hasn't quite spread everywhere, but there are definately some areas that are no go zones.. I try as best as possible not to talk about it too much (with people here or back home), and generally just ignore it in my blog. Others like tackle it head on and blab and blab and blab about it. I reckon they're war tourist deep down. Anyhoot, this is a newspaper I was reading in the car coming back from a field trip down south (where it is nice a safe). I love the irony in it all, "The National, fiercely independent" and then the following headlines.
On that note people..

Peace, Love, and Fluffy White Water

B.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Flamingo said...

Those are really fun photos. Maybe we could trade places and live happily ever after!

2:12 AM  
Blogger Byron&Emma said...

I like your kiny way of thinking. I am sure if we were to trade places Ads, Emma would be quite happy with the company and fun; but I am not sure if Will would enjoy me as a bed fellow! 8)

B.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who Dat Countin' Ya Hitz!?